Genetically Modified Foods must be clearly labelled. TAKE ACTION
Genetically Modified Foods: We are part of a Giant Experiment
Genetically modified foods are being eaten daily and they have never been tested on humans. Tests on animals reveal shocking results which are potential threats to our health:
- Rats Fed GMO tomatoes got bleeding stomachs, several died
- Mice Fed GM Bt Potatoes had intestinal damage:
- Mice Fed Roundup Ready soy (prevalent in South Africa) had liver probs ,
- Mice Fed Roundup Ready soy had problems with the pancrease and
- Mice Fed Roundup Ready soy had unexplained changes in testicular cells;
We also know from animal testing that transgenes transfer into gut bacteria, internal organis or viruses. Many GM foods contain an anti-biotic resistant marker gene which could create anti-biotic resistant diseases. This also has enormous ramifications for nations struggling with diseases requiring anti-biotics.
So why does Government allow it?
SAFeAGE asks the same question. We still haven't come up with an answer. But we do know that the Department of Trade and Industries (DTI) have listened to our demands for labelling. Mandatory labelling and liability of genetically modified foods has now been declared under the new Consumer Protection Act. But the Regulations for the Act have still to be written and it is here, in the details, that the battle will ultimately be won. SAFeAGE is currently drawing up a set of recommendations for the Regulations, and we will be needing YOUR SUPPORT to demand that labelling is effective and specific.